$100 million for aged care coronavirus support
The packages includes:
-upskill aged care workers in infection control
-enable residential and home aged care providers to hire extra nurses and aged care workers
-increase aged care staff and training to facilities during an outbreak
-provide onsite pathology services for residents
-support the quality regulator to work with providers on improving infection control
The aged care portion aims to help providers boost staff numbers and skills needed to prevent and manage infections as well as provide for additional aged care staff and training to be deployed to facilities as needed when an urgent health response is required.
“This measure will provide a dedicated service to collect and test samples for people living in residential aged care. The services will be available quickly and efficiently, without additional administrative work for providers.”
Residents will also have access to Medicare bulk-billed telehealth services with general practitioners and specialists.
Letter to Aged Care Providers from the Chief Medical Officer dated 13/03/2020
The full letter outlining funding and support can be read here
Coronavirus (COVID-19) resources for health professionals, including pathology providers and healthcare managers
Current health advice
- if you are showing cold or flu like symptoms and have not just returned from overseas or been in contact with someone who has, current advise is still to not get tested for COVID-19 (the latest Coronavirus).
- if in doubt call the National Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080
DO NOT turn up to your local hospital or GP.
- travel bans are in place for China, Iran, South Korea and Italy (from 6pm tonight)
- foreign nationals who have been in Italy, mainland China, Iran and South Korea will not be allowed into Australia for 14 days from the time they left those countries.
- Australian citizens and permanent residents travelling from those countries will be able to enter Australia, but need to isolate themselves for a fortnight.